Monday, February 6, 2012

What is the Ultima Universe?

Growing up as a young kid in the early 90's, I was influenced by an inordinate amount of awesome media. From transformers to G.I. Joe, Power rangers to Tupac, Biggie and Boyz in the hood to Star Wars, and Mortal Combat to Sonic the hedgehog. My mind was a sponge. Tuning out the drugs and the violence around us, me and my brother took a slightly unhealthy obsession with playing make believe with toys. Like most kids growing up, we emulated our favorite parts of random shows, often reediting to suit our toy collection (Megatron and Cobra commander made a great team). Then something changed, me and my brother learned that putting two small circles in a big circle with a half circle in the middle, made a smiley face. Then putting a few lines on them make a body and hands and so forth, and we can create our own characters and stories. The world opened up

Looking back, I never would of imagined that cartoons, and movies and art would save our lives. But watching more Voltron then Rap City has saved us from a completely different life, and one that was happening all around us. I cant remember how it happened, nor a specific time frame when me and my brother stoped playing with toys and would sit in our rooms and slowly make our world. Like a spark it became alive, every day a new element was added. First inspired from what we watched and heard. Of Galaxies far far away, caped crusaders, and mutants, this was the beginning of stories that changed as differently as we did.

The Ultimante Universe is alive, exclusively in my head and personal sketches until right now. Stories and characters that grew and matured along side me. Even though my stories are told through a grand lens, allot of my life and struggles can be seen in my world, and the denizens that occupy it. Both gritty and painful and poetic and beautiful. Mixing Past present and future, science, and mythology. Are my stories and characters painfully original... no. Are they unique, definitely. There is a finality and gravitas to events that I wrote that I wish I could change. Characters that fates are not just, or noble, but my decisions are like life. Unpredictable and can't be undone.

I hope you appreciate my stories and locations and characters just as much as I do. I will say this now. There will be allot of revisions, not in the story, but in its telling. I am by no means a writer, yet. This is a passion project that i want to share with the world and at this time is formless. Maybe to inspire me to get my stories out there. Maybe for a broader perspective then my own and my friends. Any feedback please give me. This is only the beginning of a very long journey. I am open to ideas and talents beyond my own. I can sketch, but not draw like a pro. I have tons of ideas, but am not a writer by a long shot. So any assistance is welcome.

Welcome to the brain of Aaron Scott Burroughs, Welcome to the Ultima Universe

No comments:

Post a Comment